Smoothies vs. Juicing
A new craze that has recently hit the world of food and health is smoothie making. Before smoothies, it was juicing. Both can be extremely tasty and healthy, but which one is better for you? Is one better than the other? One thing is for sure, they both do pretty different things for you body, and it is important to know these differences.
Pros of Juicing
- Indigestible fiber is discarded, making it easier for you body to absorb all of the benefits of the juice
- Gives you the opportunity to consume a lot more your recommended amount of fruits and vegetables each day
- Allows you to try more unique fruits and vegetables such as beets and kale, which are very good for you
Cons of Juicing
- When only juicing fruits, this releases a lot of sugar into your bloodstream quickly, potentially causing a blood sugar spike
- Without the fiber, which is filling, juices will not satisfy hunger very well. Also, juice does not carry a high amount of protein, which is essential and filling
- Taking the fiber out of fruits and vegetables also makes it harder for you to get the daily recommended amount of fiber into your body
Pros of Smoothies
- The smoothie process breaks apart fiber, but not to the extreme of juicing. Therefore, nutrients are released slowly and more evenly into your body
- Smoothies are more filling and can be used as a healthy meal replacement, especially by adding in something like protein powder or nuts
- Smoothies also allow you to experiment with different types of fruit and vegetables without sacrificing taste
Cons of Smoothies
- People often add sweet ingredients like ice cream, honey or yogurt to their smoothies, which can create blood sugar spikes
- Smoothies have the stigma of having to taste good, which means there is the danger of leaving out healthy ingredients in favor of less healthy ingredients that taste better. If you are creative, your smoothie can be super healthy and still taste great!
If you want to know some more details of how to Eat Right/Stay Fit with smoothies and juices, checkout these great websites with more information about these tasty and healthy treats!